Today I am reading DotCom Secrets for the first time and thought I would condense it down for those of you who don’t have time or don’t wanna make the time to read the WHOLE BOOK.
Although some of the material in this book is a bit dated, I will try to present in a way that updates for 2017.
So HERE we GO…
Russel was a wrestler and wanted to make some money online (making money while he sleep) to help out his wife Collette with the expenses, so that’s how he got his start in internet marketing.
He learned from people like, Frank Kern and Ed Dale. People that were real, honest and training that actually made REAL money online. Lot of scams out there, so he weeded them out.
He chose his HOT MARKET: “Potato Guns.” He created a DVD giving them exactly what they wanted, because he couldn’t afford a Ghost Writer. Sales started trickling in.
In Russel’s words… “It’s all about packaging and selling information.” People have limited time and are looking for a KWIK SOLUTION to their PROBLEM, an EASY to follow step-by-step system. There is your OPPORTUNITY! Your success will be exactly proportional to the # of people that you HELP.
• Electronic Books (ebooks)
• Audio CDs / MP3s
• Multimedia CD Roms and DVDs
• Membership Sites
How much money you will make online is determined by…
• Your market
• The quality of your products
• The effectiveness of your sales letter
• The effort you put into your marketing
At this point in the book Russel show’s some social proof of people actually making money. Clever boy 🙂 For when people see other people are getting results, they BELIEVE they can do it! Fear eraser spurring people on to take action.
Chapter 1: Finding a Hot Market
This simple formula has made more money for individuals than any other strategy…
• Step #1: Find A HOT Market
• Step #2: Ask your market what they want
• Step #3: Give it to them
Look for people who have their own subculture
• Fishing, Hunting
• Golfers, Sports
• Brides, Weddings
• Massage Therapists… OOOOO, AHHHHH… (side note: try cellular massage, how’s dat4subniche?)
• Bodybuilders, Fitness
• Scrapbook Enthusiasts, Book readers (reviews)
How to discover Niche Markets?
- Magazines – large group of people/market who BUY regularly, and revenue via Advertising! They ONLY pay4ads based on profitable ROI. Yes advertising is as AGE OLD as you can imagine. It’s called Old School & it WORKS! Become a student and profit.
- Amazon (Secret Weapon: 80k+ magazine titles!) Browse by subject, detailed search and analyze trends via ‘Movers and Shakers’. Updates the top selling magazines daily.
- Book Stores (pay attention to labels, categories, popularity), magazines.com
- ClickBank.com – #1 Digital Retailer in the World! Great ideas other people are using online!
- Passion IS a great indicator of potential niche market. Do you attend related seminars/events?
- Television often reports on Emerging Trends. General interest stories generating potential niches
- Keep your ‘Marketing Radar’ ON 24/7, when you’re READY, that Profitable Niche will appear.
Action Step: Compile a list of as many ‘Potential NICHE MARKETS’ as you can.
Next: Sort through the niche market w/the ‘most potential.’
Question #1: Large target market?
• Question #2: Willing to PAY for information?
Good example of Niche: ‘Wedding Planning”
Type ‘wedding planning’ in google search bar to see how many search results, competition there is.
At the time of writing this post, I googled ‘wedding planning’: About 46,800,000 results (0.87 seconds)
You can also use Google Keyword Tool to see if there is a large enough market.
Do they have a credit card?
It can be hard to sell your mom on why you need to buy an ebook that will help you play your video game better, lol.
Do they have disposable income?
Appeal to Players w/money!
Can you find a direct competitor?
What do competitors tell you? That other people are Making Money in This Market! Your CLUE that THIS is a good market. Just recreate it with your own Unique Style ;()
How to search for your Direct Competitors?
- google: SEARCH TERM + eBook
- clickbank: look in Marketplace for competitors (when selecting your niche, this is a plus!)
Can you find 4 other products being sold to your target audience/niche?
Not necessarily by your competitor, it could be physical items, i.e shoes, videos
How much money are advertisers paying to advertise in this area/market?
- The first step is to go to www.SpyFu.com and enter your keyword – they will show you interesting stats such as CPC: How much Google charges advertiser4advertisemnt. Top of Google Search page results. Shows people are PAYING4This Keyword!
CH 2: ASK THEM WHAT THEY WANT – Have you SURVEYED them?
“Dear Friend, I know your time is valuable, so I will get straight to it
I Need Your Advice!
I’m putting the finishing touches on an eBook called “_____________,” and I want to make sure that it’s good to go.
What is your BIG QUESTION on ________________? Anything will help, nothing is off limits.
All you have to do its type your question in the area below and click submit.
In exchange for your advice and also for leaving your email address, I will send you a free copy of the eBook/product b4 we release it to the market, should be ready in a couple weeks.
Okay, here’s the easy form: What is ur #1 question about how to ______________?
Thank you very much for helping make this the BEST “How to ______________” resource possible.
This is going to give you the information you need to create your product, write your sales letter and so much more!
Note: Here is where Russel integrates software promotion in his eBook: put keyword in the software and instructions. i.e ‘click here’ (clever)
Use what people input into your survey to create your landing pages! TaDa… Boom, your prospects are creating your MARKETING4U!
- Title of the product
2. The number one question (makes for good keyword, answers to their problems)
3. Your name
4. Where to redirect them after they submit the form
Running Your “Ask Campaign”
- Drive traffic to your page
- Create the question you receive into an outline for your eBook
Congregations: What forums or fan book pages do you frequently visit? What newsletters or
email lists do you belong to?
As a Marketer, always ask/know:
- Have my landing page up.
- Who is my target audience?
- Where are they hanging out? (you want to find lots of forums, etc where they are hanging)
Become part of that community, provide value & ask “What is your #1 Question About _________?”
Next ask them to simply fill out your survey in exchange for a free copy of your product when it’s finished!
Your goal: Get 100 people to fill out your survey.
- Answer their questions
- Use the questions in your Sales Copy as bullet points i.e Discover the best ways to ______.
- Give what they want to them.
If you’re trying to sell something to students and not getting sales, maybe rewrite the sales letter to sell to the parents instead.
Questions that your “ASK” campaign will answer:
• Who should you be selling to?
• What do they actually want?
• What are their pain points?
• What words do they use to describe it?
Take 8-10 questions you get answered and turn them into chapters or modules. This outline makes it easy to create your product.
Step 1: Flycatcher Page
Step 2: Run the Ad
Find out who your target audience is and where they congregate and then ask your bros for help w/your survey.
Step 3: Ask Campaign
Run the campaign until you get 100 #1 question responses.
Step 4: Compile Questions into a Table of Contents
Look for questions that trend into a common theme. These questions become your chapters and all start with “How To”. Incorporate major questions that relate to that chapter.
Step 5: Re-Write The Questions Into Bullet Points
Turn questions into selling points so when they arrive at your site, you are providing exact solution to what they want.
Chapter 3A: Creating the Product
Quickest way to write and publish a book is by working with a ghostwriter. They may work for a set price or for a percentage of the profits from sales.
Find them on Upwork. Review samples of each writer’s work and read feedback from previous
“Ghostwriter Needed” (don’t give away your niche). Budget between $500 to $750 for an 80 page ebook.
Step 3: Choose Your Writer
Step 4: Work With Your Writer
Send them the list of questions that you collected during your campaign as well as the table of contents.
Instruct writer book must answers all of these questions, as well as anything they find related to chapter titles. Ask to see the sample chapters as they are created. Should take about 3 weeks to have finished ebook.
Ask for Microsoft Word file as well as PDF, in case you need to make updates.
Write A Killer Sales Letter (to sell your product)
Writing a compelling sales letter (long) is a crucial skill and is sometimes the difference between one succeeding online or not.
Building Block Sales Letter Style:
Building Block #1: Headline
Grab attention of ideal customer. i.e “Learn how to make $50 an Hour doing what you Love.” or you can niche down specific.. i.e “Who Wants to know how to make money being an Affiliate Marketer?”
Use WHAM: Why and how does this affect me. They want to know what’s in it for them, so include a benefit. i.e “Make your own Email List for under $30.”
Use proven headlines, just tweak it with your product info.
Use a swipe file to store your Headline styles & come up with your favorite 5. Ask your audience which one is most compelling to them.
- Can You Spot These 10 Decorating Sins?
- How a strange accident saved me from baldness
- Who else wants a screen star figure?
- Announcing the new Ford cars for (year)
- Are You Ashamed of Smells In Your Home?
- Buy No Desk Until You’ve Seen THIS
- Car Owners……Save One Gallon of Gas Every Ten
- Double Your Money Back If This Isn’t The Best Onion Soup You Ever Tasted
- Free Book Tells You 12 Secrets Of Better Lawn Care
- Get Rid Of Money Worries For Good
- Girls……Want Quick Curls?
- Greatest Bible News In 341 Years
- Great New Discovery Kills Kitchen Odors Quick – makes indoor air “country fresh”
- Hand Woven by the Mountain People of New Mexico
- Have You These Symptoms of Nerve Exhaustion?
- Five Familiar Skin Troubles – Which Do You Want To Overcome?
- Here’s a Quick Way to Break Up a Cold
- How a Man of 40 Can Retire In 15 Years
- How I Became Popular Overnight
- How I Improved My Memory In One Evening
- How I Made A Fortune With A “Fool” Idea
- How Investors Can Save 70% On Commissions This Year
- How I Raised Myself From Failure To Success In Selling
- How To Do Your Christmas Shopping in 5 Minutes
- How I Retired On a Guaranteed Income for Life
- How I Started a New Life With Only $7
- How $7 Started Me On The Road to $65,000 a Year
- How The Next 90 Days Can Change Your Life
- How To Beat Tension Without Pills
- How To Collect From Social Security At Any Age
- How To Feel Fit At Any Age
- How To Get Your Cooking Bragged About
- How To Have A Cool, Quiet Bedroom Even On Hot Nights
- How To Stop Worrying
- How $20 Spent May Save You $2000
- How you Can Get a Loan of $500
- I Lost That Ugly Bulge in 2 Minutes With This Reducing Belt
- It Cleans Your Breath While It Cleans Your Teeth
- “I Gambled With 3 Cents And Won $35,850 In 2 Years”
- Imagine Me….Holding an Audience Spellbound for 30 minutes.
- Men who “know it all” are not invited to read this page
- Money-saving Bargain from America’s Oldest Diamond Discount House
- No Time For ________. Took THIS home by reading the Classics.
- Now! Own Florida Land This Easy Way. $20 Down and $20 a Month.
- Order Christmas Gifts Now – Pay After January 20.
- Play Guitar in 7 Days or Money Back
- Quick Relief for Tired Eyes.
- Lose Ugly Fat – an Average of 7 Pounds a Month.
- If You Are A Careful Driver You Can Save Money On Car Insurance.
- Readers Digest Tells Why __________ Is Better For Your Health
- Ways To Beat The Overweight Habit
- Ways To Beat The High Cost Of Living
- New Ways To A Man’s Heart In This Fascinating New Book For Cooks
- The Lazy Man’s Way To Riches – Most people are too busy earning a living to make any money
- The Most Comfortable Shoes You’ve Ever Worn Or Your Money Back
- The Most Complete and Most ________ $17.50……Publisher’s List Price: $90
- The Secret of Making People Like You
- The Tastiest Ocean Treat from COMPANY NAME – Plump, Tender, Juicy Salt Mackerel Fillets
- They Thought I Was Crazy To Ship LIVE MAINE LOBSTERS as far as 1,800 miles from the ocean.
- Thousands Have This Priceless Gift – But Never Discover It
- Thousands Now Play Who Never Thought They Could
- To A Mother Whose Child Is Three Years Old
- To A Man Who Is 35 And Dissatisfied
- To Men Who Want To Quit Work Some Day
- You Don’t Have To Be Rich To Retire On a Guaranteed Income For Life
- A WARNING To Men Who Want To Be Independent In The Next Five Years
- Wanted – Your Services As A High-Paid Real Estate Specialist
- What’s New In Summer Sandwiches?
- Tonight Serve This Ready-mixed Chocolate Pudding
- Who Else Wants A Whiter Wash – With No Hard Work?
- What’s Wrong In This Picture?
- Which Of These Five Skin Troubles Would You Like To End?
- Will Your Scalp Stand The “Fingernail Test?”
- Give Me 5 Days and I’ll Give You a Magnetic Personality….. Let Me Prove It Free
- What Makes A Woman Lovable?
- To People Who Want To Write – But Struggle To Get Started.
Building Block #2: Your Opening
1. Revealing who your letter is from
2. Your Greeting
3. An Opening Sentence
From: YOUR NAME
If you are interested in learning how to create boat loads of money from the comfort of your home, then this is going to be the most exciting message you will ever read.
Building Block #3: Connect With Your Reader
Establish that what you have to say is relevant and important to them.
You have to :
• Know how your customer thinks
• Know how your customer feels
• Know what your customers’ biggest frustrations are
• Know what your customers’ biggest worries are
• Know what your customer really wants
• Identify common experiences that your customer can relate to
Get this info from the questions you got from the flycatcher page. Another good way is to talk your ideal customer.
Building Block 3a: Connect With The Reader
Share a brief story that your readers can personally relate to. As they read this story they should be nodding their head and saying, “Hey, that’s just like me!”
Building Block 4: Credibility
Establish why the reader should be interested in listening to what you have to say.
Building Block 5: Power Bullets
Often a single bullet point that specifically appeals to a reader can be enough to convince them to purchase your product.
So, What’s the Ability to _________ with effortless precision worth to you?
Good Bullet Point Starters
• Find out…
• How to…
• The techniques that…
• The hidden…
• The surprising…
• The little-known secret that…
• The very best ways to…
• An ingeniously simple secret to…
• The tiny adjustment that…
• 7 ways to…
• The truth about…
Open ended, gives a clear picture of the benefit that reader will receive, but not giving away the exact secret… creating curiosity
Building Block 6: Testimonials
Build trust with genuine testimonials from people who have read your ebook, increasing perceived value.
Remember that you promised the people who submitted a question that they would get a free copy of your book? Thank them for their help and ask if they would give you some feedback on what they think of your finished book.
Building Block #7: Price Justification
• The cost of seminars
• The cost of courses
• The cost of consulting fees
Building Block 8: Guarantee
People are afraid of being ripped off. Offer your customers an Iron Clad Money Back Guarantee.
Building Block 9: Bonus
Something that has a high perceived value that they receive at no extra cost. “What else could I give my customer that would help them solve their problem?”
• An email or a phone consultation
• A list of web resources
• A workbook
• Access to a members area
• An additional eBook (one you create, or one you purchase resale rights to)
• A collection of useful letters
• An interview with a leading expert in your niche
• The transcripts of an interview with leading experts in your niche
• Downloadable videos
Building Block 10: Call To Action
1. It needs to make it very clear what the reader needs to do to order your eBook
2. It needs to create a sense of urgency that makes the reader act immediately
Make it as easy as possible for them to order.
Urgency: Price of your eBook is an introductory price only and that the price will increase in the near
future (every 2 weeks).
Building Block 11: P.S.
Restate the key benefit that your eBook provides. Similar to a ‘headline’ to sum everything up.
How To Create Your Website
Outsource to Fiverr or Upwork to design our websites, upload to our hosting accounts, edit the content, add our payment buttons and more!
- Purchase a domain name on NameCheap.
- Set up Hosting, I use [affiliate link] Hawk Host – I like their antivirus, site protection from hackers
- Set your DNS to point to nameservers
- FTP – you can upload your salesletter directly to your website
Step #3 – Setting up Your Product in ClickBank. Russel has videos to show you how to set this up.
CHAPTER 3B: DRIVING THE TRAFFIC
• First – I would pull a list of all of the keywords I want to go after. (to get traffic from)
• Second – I would type those keywords into Google and then take the first 30 results of each keyword.
• Third – We would then go and manually visit all 30 of those pages for the full keyword list. (find sites that have an adsense block on them)
You now know which sites sell advertising space at a fraction of the costs of traditional advertising!
Then load up those sites back into your Google adwords account and target your ads
directly on those websites!
By placing your ads directly on their websites and blogs (and they can hardly control it). Now you just funnel their traffic to you. You now have the power to drive millions of targeted visitors to any website you want!
The End… actually it is just the beginning!
For more ways of making money online check out my YouTube channel.