Think and Grow Rich | The 13 Steps to Riches Book Summary
“The Original Version, Restored and Revised”
Praise for Think and Grow Rich
Study successful people, their autobiographies, their strategies….
and heed their advice.
Think of ways to optimize every situation in your life.
What we think about most of the time, is who we become.
Form or join a Master Mind group.
Set and monitor goals, especially in investment clubs.
Follow the Six-Step Formula faithfully AND watch what happens!
‘Life’s battles don’t always go to the stronger or faster man…
they go to the man who THINKS HE CAN…i think i can, i think i can.’
“Whatever the mind can conceive & believe, it can achieve.”
Forward by Bob Proctor
You can have the book ‘Think and Grow Rich’ bound in black leather.
Bring it with you everywhere or store it in your library.
Focus on what I could do and ways of how I could do things.
Develop my strengths, potential, capabilities and manage weaknesses.
Read a few lines of Think and Grow Rich everyday.
Read chapter on ‘Persistence’ every day for 30 days at least twice a year.
Other great books: ‘Atlas Shrugged’ and ‘Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude’.
Chapter 2 on Faith: Made Schwab a huge fortune in both money and opportunity.
The secret can be used for your personal benefit, to make a fortune or to create
harmony in your home.
Success comes to those who become Success Conscious. Does it not all start with the
Heart and the Mind? With Feeling & Belief… and there are others such as the 5 senses…
hearing, tasting, touch, smell…all these can be utilized by your imagination, children call it…
Pretend, I will pretend _______… Life is but a Dream.
Barnes had a definite chief aim, to work WITH Edison, not for him. “I have come to go into business with Edison”. Edison could see it in Barnes’s face, he was DETERMINED to get what he had come after. So I gave him the opportunity because I knew he would stay until he succeeded.
Edison was constantly intensifying his desire to become the business associate of Edison. Determined to remain ready until he got what he wanted.
Adopt a definite purpose & commit to it and persist until it becomes an all-consuming obsession, will mow down obstacles and bring you opportunity you desire. Opportunity may slip in the back door, often disguised as temporary defeat.
Barnes started selling the ediphone so successfully that Edison contracted him to market & distribute nationwide. Their business alliance was successful for 3 decades.
Three Feet From Gold
‘More gold has been mined from the mind of man than from the earth.’ Darby should have called a mining engineer (seek expert council) who was familiar with fault lines. They were only 3 feet away from where they QUIT drilling and missed out on Millions of dollars.
Darby later started selling life insurance. “I will never stop because people say ‘no’ when I ask them to buy insurance.” (stickability)
Before success will come much temporary defeat. Failure may try to trip you when success is almost within reach. Think of failure as a steppingstone to opportunity.
“My mama’s gotta have that 50 cents!”
The uncle came at her with a barrel stave. She took 1 step forward, looked into his eyes and screamed as loud as she could. Burning desire, courage, love, compassion, and belief.
Darby…“I’ve gotta make this sale.” I’ve made most sales after people have said NO. Keep on keeping on, the tough keep going. (learn this before you can succeed at anything)
ONE idea, plan or purpose is all you need to achieve success.
Like a hockey stick… “When RICHES begin to come, they come SO QUICKLY, IN SUCH GREAT ABUNDANCE, ONE WONDERS WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN ALL THOSE LEAN YEARS.”
Riches begin with a state of mind. I’m gonna do IT, no mater WHAT! For many people it’s a mind shift that takes place. Maybe they FEEL they have something to prove, to make a place for themselves or were inspired by financial pain.
Master the principles in this book and watch everything you touch turn into an asset for your benefit. “It’s possible. How can I?”
Are your thought habits of poverty, want, misery, failure and defeat?
Henry Ford Secret… “Stay on the job until you succeed, no matter how much time it takes.”
We are masters of our faith. Think positive, constructive thoughts of riches, not of poverty. The universe will light up the path. Magnetized Our minds with an INTENSE DESIRE FOR RICHES, “money conscious” which attracts to us similar people, resources, and circumstances of life.
These 500 wealthiest people began in poverty, little education and had little influence.
Later in the book will examine our virtues and our faults, to see what propel us toward success.
Your burning desire to be, do and have is the STARTING point for the dreamer to blast off. Dreams are born of decisiveness, hustle and ambition. Be a good go-giver.
Chapter 1: Desire – Raging inferno of fire in your whole being.
Study Famous people or study your mentor, your father, whomever it is you admire. The person that is top of his achievement, that has excelled in life may have or may not have had a choice at which it was they were best at.
Yes, they may have been good at several things or 1, 2 or 3 things that they really loved. But they are only one person. So… they had to make a choice. To go all in in the ONE THING that they LOVED the most.
What is your one thing? Only you can decide for you on what THAT is, and isn’t it GREAT that you are the one who has the choice?
What if someone told you, THIS is what you HAVE to DO for the next 20 years… OUCH!
If we were always child, then we would want everything on a whim and want it now. As we get older we choose by how it will affect us down the road.
Six Steps To Riches
- Fix in your mind the exact amount of money you desire
- Determine exactly what you intend to give in return for the money
- Date you when you intend to possess the money you desire
- Create a definite plan for carrying out your desire, begin at once
- Write out a clear statement i.e (could be a check, like Jim Carrie) in the amount of $150,000, for acting services rendered, date it, plan (this would be done on a separate piece of paper)
- Read your written statement aloud(or to yourself) twice daily (morning and evening) AS YOU READ SEE, FEEL & BELIEVE YOURSELF ALREADY IN POSSESSION OF THE MONEY. (smell, hear…. like a movie playing in our mind)
If your desire becomes an obsession, you will convince yourself that you will acquire it.
Now in future chapter we will explore faith. Not faith, like a wish… Yeah maybe we gotta hope before we believe. It sometimes is a stepping stone process. But true belief, like do you really believe it? Can move mountains, literally.
If you truly DESIRE something, you love it, then why not do it? Believe you can…hey you might not know the HOW. Forget the how for now. Take the first step, yes be brave. You might trip or stumble along the way, buy hey, it’s all good.
Your given a life, you know better than anyone WHAT makes your heart sing. What is it that you LOVE the MOST? Choose, have FAITH in yourself and your ability to DO IT.
Thomas Edison had 10,000 failures before his DREAM of an electric lamp became reality. How many times will you row your boat merrily down your dream stream?
Many inventors, such as Marconi dreamed of and discovered how to send messages through the air, without wires.
SPEND 12-14 HOURS every day to acquaint with your “other self” and use your IMAGINATION practicing, playing, writing, whatever it is that you DESIRE to do.
Disappointment over LOVE AFFAIRS can drive many to drink and destruction. Why not TRANSMUTE their EMOTION into DREAM of constructive nature?
No one has ever been defeated, until they accept defeat as their reality. If Helen Keller can do it, you can.
Wherever you are reach for a better feeling thought… Hope, Faith, Courage and Tolerance. All inspired-good will come to you, when you are truly READY for it, requires BELIEF with an open-mind, not a mere hope or wish.
Easy to Aim-High, demand abundance and prosperity…
“I bargained with Life for a PENNY,
And Life would give me no more,
Life will give you what you ask,
But once you set the wages,
You must bear the task,
Any wage I ask of Life,
Life will willingly pay.”
Hill made a decision that his child would HEAR and SPEAK… How? There must be a way and he knew that he would find it. There is guidance within and by listening, we shall hear it.
“Our only limitations are THOSE we believe in our own minds.”
Hill would find a way to TRANSPLANT into his child’s MIND so completely with Hill’s own BURNING DESIRE…
DESIRE backed by FAITH, knows not the word ‘Impossible’. Think rather, that it’s ‘Possible’.
If your child enjoys bed-time stories, create stories that develop in him self-reliance, imagination and a keen desire to hear, talk and live normally. Tell story designed to plant in his mind that his disability/adversity would become an asset of great value/distinct advantage that he can capitalize on.
Hill communicated that desire to him in every conceivable way available persistently for years.
When Hill’s son was about 7 years old, he borrowed 6 cents from a local shoemaker. Invested it in papers, sold out, reinvested and kept repeating the process until late in the evening.
After balancing his account and paying back 6 cents to the banker, he had profit of 42 cents. Hill effort to plant in the child’s mind an attitude of faith in himself, had paid off.
Hill’s child was becoming a self-reliant little businessman by planning a way to earn money. He took the ‘bull by the horns’ on his own initiative, like a resourceful leader and had won.
Use challenges as stepping stones to climb toward some worthy goal or vision. Don’t use as excuses.
Blaire, Hill’s son was eventually able to hear through a hearing aide, but had yet to convert his disability into an equivalent asset.
Blaire then wrote an enthusiastic letter to the manufacturer of the hearing device, describing his experience. Next he had an idea to help millions of deaf people, to tell them the story of his changed life.
He made a DECISION to devote the rest of his life to rendering useful service to the hard of hearing.
For a whole month he researched manufacturer’s marketing system. He came up with ways to communicate to the hearing impaired his story of his ‘newly discovered’ changed world.
He put in writing a two-year plan and presented it to the manufacturer, who instantly hired him. Blair gave hope and relief to thousands of hearing impaired people.
Before taking on a commitment, analyze your time. Is it being entirely wasted?
What is your defined DESIRE? Our goals we name and seek… must be something definite.
The POWER of an All-Consuming Desire backed by Faith has turned rags to riches.
The genius within deserves an opportunity. Recognize it’s possible and that we MUST win.
Hill had a friend who was ill and the doctor said he probably wouldn’t make it. Hill’s friend told him, “Do not be disturbed Chief, I will be out of here in a few days.” Nothing but his desire to live, saved him. He REFUSED to ACCEPT the possibility of death.
What is your INTENSE BURNING DESIRE for SOMETHING definite? This is where achievement begin. This is also where a mother can lift a car off the neck of her daughter, as my grandma did when she was a mother she lifted a station wagon off here daughter… if the desire is strong enough, belief does not have to be strong. She had to lift the tire off her daughters neck to save her!
The opposite is also true, if Belief is strong, desire need not be a lot. So here to fore, we have two powerful principles.
Faith is a way to channel Desire steadily toward what we want. We MUST do it. We must Win.
Chapter 2: Faith – Visualization and Belief in attainment of Desire.
‘O ye, of little faith’ …Why do you doubt, what are you afraid of?
Faith, Love(spiritual) and Sex(biological) are most powerful positive emotions of any adult. I urge you to disagree? When THEY are blended… IT is POWERFUL.
Faith is a ‘State of Mind’ that may be induced by repetition or affirmation of orders. Purpose is to convince your subconscious mind to believe you WILL receive THAT for which you ask.
ALL THOUGHTS which have been EMOTIONALIZED (magnetized with feeling) and MIXED WITH FAITH begin immediately to materialize. This applies to both positive and negative i.e good luck, bad luck.
If you believe yourself doomed to poverty and failure, guess what… you are broke and failing.
You may deceive your mind by conducting yourself just as you would if you were ALREADY IN POSSESSION OF THE ‘THING’ OF WHICH YOU ARE DEMANDING.
Give your mind an order in a state of belief or faith, and that order will be carried out.
Positive emotions and positive state of mind is a favorable abode for FAITH.
If you have FAITH that you CAN do something, you most certainly will do it.
FAITH is the only antidote for failure.
FAITH when mixed with prayer, gives one direct communication with infinite intelligence.
You want to EMIT vibrations of prosperity, health, success and happiness. The human mind is constantly attracting vibrations that harmonize with that which DOMINATES the mind.
Self Confidence Formula
“I have the ability to achieve the object of my definite purpose. I demand of myself persistent and continuous action toward it’s attainment.
I realize that through repeated affirmations my dominating thoughts and desires will turn into action and gradually become reality. I will create a clear mental picture for 15 minutes daily of the person I am becoming.
I have written down a clear description of my Definite Chief Aim and I will never stop until I have developed sufficient self-confidence for it’s attainment.
I realize that wealth nor position can last unless build on TRUTH and JUSTICE. I will engage in transactions that benefit all and that harm none whom it affects. I will attract the cooperation of others by my willingness to serve them. I will develop love for all of humanity. I will believe in others and in myself.
I will sign my name to this formula, commit it to memory and repeat it aloud once per day. I will become self-reliant and successful person.”
Thoughts of FEAR, DOUBT and DISBELIEF can materialize just as easy as thoughts driven by COURAGE or FAITH. Let your thoughts be of PEACE and PROSPERITY.
“Success begins with a state of mind, a positive mental attitude or mood. You’ve got to think highly of yourself to rise. You’ve got to be sure of yourself before you can win the prize. The Man who wins, is the MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN!”
Does there lie within you a genius, a seed of achievement, which if aroused would carry you onto heights you may never have hoped to obtain?
Abraham Lincoln was a failure at pretty much everything he tried until he was well past the age of 40. He was a Mr. Nobody from Nowhere until a great experience came into his life and aroused the sleeping genius within his heart and mind and gave the world one of its truly great men.
That experience was mixed with sorrow and Love, his wife Anne Rutledge, the only woman he ever truly loved. Don’t underestimate the influence of a spouse’s love.
Miracles are nothing more nor less than FAITH.
Hold FAITHFULNESS and sincerity and be moving continually to what is right.
Power is the ability to transplant FAITH into the minds of many.
Business and leaders rely on FAITH, cooperation, happiness and contentment. Helpers must earn the right to profit sharing.
You want to accumulate a great fortune? Try giving before you get. Utilize your IMAGINATION. Apply and follow through on your PLAN with PERSISTENCE and back it with a firm DECISION until it has been fully carried out. Have a burning DESIRE for Success.
Persuading Carnegie To Sell
Pour out glittering promises of retirement in comfort, of untold millions to satisfy the old man’s social caprices. Carnegie wrote $400,000,000 on a piece of paper and said “All right, that’s what we’ll sell for.” Schwab’s IDEA and FAITH of all parties involved, marketed United States Steel into $600,000,000. Not too bad for a single IDEA!
Faith removes limitations and can be created by AUTO-SUGGESTION.
Chapter 3: AUTOSUGGESTION
…Influencing the Mind
AUTOSUGGESTION is self-suggestion and self administered stimuli via the 5 senses.
The only other thought that can reach the subconscious mind, be it negative or positive, is through inspiration, the 6th sense.
All sense perceptions that are received through the 5 senses may be passed on to the subconscious or rejected at will. Most people to not exercise their CONTROL and most go through life in poverty.
Like a in a garden, weeds will overtake it unless seeds of desirable crops are sown. Be creative, not destructive.
Your subconscious recognizes and acts only upon thoughts and words that have been mixed with emotion/feeling and belief/FAITH.
Overtime you will learn to control and direct your emotions. To influence and program your subconscious mind, everlasting PERSISTENCE in applying the principles is required.
Concentrate on your DESIRE until it becomes a BURNING OBSESSION.
Hold your thoughts on $150,000 until you can ACTUALLY SEE the physical appearance of the money. Do this once each day.
Utilize FAITH by actually see yourself IN POSSESSION OF THE MONEY. See yourself rendering service or delivering merchandise you intend to give in return for the money.
Repetition of orders to the subconscious mind is key. You must have that money, let your imagination do its thing. DEMAND and EXPECT that plans will be handed over to you for its accumulation.
As thoughts, plans, ideas come to you, put them into ACTION. Act upon it as soon as you receive it.
Summary of Instructions: Give orders to your subconscious mind…
1. Go to a quiet place with your eyes closed, repeat aloud the written statement of the amount of money you intend to accumulate, the time limit, and for DRYWALL & PAINTING SERVICES rendered.
As you do this, SEE YOURSELF ALREADY IN POSSESSION OF THE MONEY.
Example: “By the December 31st, 2023, I will have in my possession $150,000, which will come to me in various amounts. In return I will give the most efficient selling of service possible. Rendering fullest Quantity and best Quality.
“I can now see this money before my eyes. I can touch it with my hands. It is now awaiting transfer to me as I deliver the service for it. I am awaiting a plan by which to accumulate this money, and will follow the plan once received.”
2. Repeat this night and morning until you can clearly visualize (in your imagination) the money you intend to accumulate.
3. Place written copy where you can see it night and morning, read it night and morning until memorized.
“I am the Master of my Fate, I am the Captain of my Soul.”…apply Principles with PERSISTENCE.
ONE WHO REFUSES TO COMPROMISE WITH CIRCUMSTANCES HE DON’T LIKE IS GREAT ASSET.
Chapter 4. Specialized Knowledge
Personal Experiences and Observations
Organization and using intelligently directing knowledge for the accumulation of money.
Plentiful and cheap form of service.
How to purchase knowledge for your major purpose
- Your own experience and education
- Cooperation of your Master Mind Alliance
- Colleges and universities
- Public libraries
- Special training courses through night schools, correspondence schools & home study courses
Specialists Most Sought
Business – accounting and statistics, engineers, journalists, architects, chemists, outstanding leaders.
Graduate who has good activity record on campus, personality who gets along with many kinds of people, and who has done an adequate job with studies has an edge over strictly academic student.
Some companies look for exceptional progress in management work. They emphasize qualities of character, in intelligence and personality.
Study programs are flexible and therefore can be done in your spare time, during work breaks or during travel.
Hill took a home study course in advertising.
Those that study Self-improvement and take action can gain the friendly interests of those who have the power to put them in the way of OPPORTUNITY.
If your business isn’t bringing in enough money to provide for you and your family consider going broader. i.e Law or Bookkeeping (office on wheels).
You may want to carefully select highly specialized courses in colleges best prepared to teach the subjects chosen… you may finish school in half the time it takes most.
If you need to market your service, consider hiring someone who can design i.e clever at hand lettering, put the story together, prepare an attractive portfolio describing advantages of your new business. They could print the pages neatly and paste in an organized scrapbook (silent salesman).
Be sure to reach out to all your competitors to gather vital information from them concerning their business methods. This should provide several suggestions for the use and benefit of new business.
The above paragraph can help you fix your own price, level up so you seem to know what you’re talking about and perhaps shed 5 to 10 years if you hadn’t done your research.
Form a habit of observing how others get ahead, of seeing OPPORTUNITY and seizing it without hesitation.
Set high goals and have your helpers set high goals also. Having a target gives people something to strive for.
Another job that is easy to get if you need money is selling on a commission basis. Once you get your foot in the door and start selling you can aim for assistant sales manager of the company and then climb your way up from there.
“All the world loves a winner and has no time for a loser.” – Use this inspiration to be a go getter.
Don’t accept and keep a job you don’t want. Utilize your desire to excel.
Use your imagination to combine specialized knowledge and IDEAS in form of organized plans designed to yield riches.
The only limitations are the ones you set up in your own mind.
Chapter 5: Imagination “The Workshop where anything can be created”
Synthetic Imagination – one can arrange old concepts, ideas or plans into new combinations.
Creative Imagination – inspirations, new ideas from SOURCE or other’s consciousness. Can be aroused by intensity ($5,000 on the line) or strong desire (to win).
Desire was used to create this Earth and everything in it. From the cells in your body to the vast universe beyond, you are just tapping into the same stuff.
The Enchanted Kettle
Coca cola – the secret formula. (IDEA that was purchased) Then mixed with IMAGINATION.
Your investment has overflown with gold that has surpassed the miraculous performance of Aladdin’s lamp.
Depression proof, wen factories, banks and businesses fold up….people keep on drinking this Thirst-quencher.
What would I do If I had a Million Dollars
Notice many DEFECTS in our EDUCATIONAL system. Better to be taught to learn by DOING.
Where is one to lay their hands on a Million Dollars? Ponder on this until it becomes an obsession.
It’s a lot of money. The only limitation is that which one sets up in one’s own mind. Make it happen!
Sit in your room and THINK of ways and means of raising the money to carry out your plans. There will come a time for action.
Make up your mind, then and there, that you WILL get the necessary million dollars within a WEEK. How? Don’t be concerned about that.
What’s important is the DECISION to get the money within a specified time. A strange feeling of assurance will come over you.
“Why didn’t you reach that decision a long time ago? The money was waiting for you all the time!”
Call the NEWSPAPERS and announce I will PREACH A SERMON the following morning entitled, ‘What I Would Do If I Had a Million Dollars.’
Go to work on the SERMON immediately. This should not be difficult if you have been preparing the sermon for 2 years. The spirit back of it will be a part of you!
Long before midnight you will have finished writing the sermon. Go to bed with a feeling of confidence, for you can see yourself in possession of the million dollars.
Kneel on your knees and ASK that your sermon might come to the attention of someone who will supply the needed money. Again you will have the feeling of assurance that the money will be forthcoming.
Rely on your own subconscious to yield the material when giving the SERMON. Close your eyes and speak with all your heart and soul of your dreams.
Not only talk to your audience, but imagine you talk also to Source, God or Higher Power.
Tell what you would do with a million dollars if that amount were placed in your hands. Describe the plan you have in mind for ORGANIZING a great EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION where young people would learn to do practical things and at same time develop their minds.
They LIKE your sermon. They BELIEVE you can do everything you said you would if you had a million dollars. They WILL give you MONEY. You will FOUND the INSTITUTE. (your the founder)
That’s more money than most people ever see in an entire lifetime, yet the thought impulse back of the money was created in his mind in a fraction of a minute. IDEA + DESIRE that he nursed for almost two years.
He got the money within 36 hours after he reached a DEFINITE DECISION TO GET IT – and DECIDED UPON A DEFINITE PLAN FOR GETTING IT!
Source seems to throw itself on the side of THOSE who know exactly what they want, if they are determined to get IT.
IDEAS can be transmuted into CA$H through the power of DEFINITE PURPOSE plus DEFINITE PLANS.
Riches come in response to definite demands, based upon the application of principles.
All master salespeople know that ideas can be sold where merchandise cannot.
People buy TITLES, not contents of books. Sales on a book can jump up a million copies. Put on a new cover with a title that has “box office” value.
Creators of IDEAS make their own price and if they’re smart, GET IT.
Many can’t create an idea, but have the imagination to recognize ideas when they see them.
Carnegie surrounded himself with people who could do all that he could not – people who created ideas, who put ideas into operation and who sell ideas. He made himself and others rich.
Favorable breaks or opportunities may need several years of determined effort to become an asset.
Understand thyself, strengths and desires.
It’s so GOOD, do you want it BAD enough. Desire to obtain the GOAL. This can be no ordinary DESIRE. It will have to survive disappointment, temporary defeat. It must be a BURNING DESIRE.
When IDEA is first planted in your mind, it must be coaxed, nursed and enticed to remain alive. Gradually the idea will become a GIANT, then it will coax, nurse and drive YOU and sweep aside all opposition.
“Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.” – Christianity
Riches come in huge quantities in response to DEFINITE DEMANDS of these principles.
Chapter 6 Organized Planning | The Crystallization of Desire into Action
(a) Ally yourself with a group of as many people as you may need to create and carry out your plan(s) for accumulation of money.
(b) Before forming your Master Mind Alliance, decide what advantages, and benefits you may offer the members of your group in return for their cooperation.
(c) Arrange to meet with the members at least twice a week or more, until you have jointly created the necessary plan(s) for the accumulation of money. Or if you create the plans, make sure they are checked and approved by the members of YOUR MASTERMIND ALLIANCE.
(d) Maintain PERFECT HARMONY & COOPERATION between yourself and every member.
- You need faultless plans, system
- You must have advantage of experience, education, native ability and imagination of other minds
Review your plans often, if you find it not working or you meet with temporary defeat, replace it with a new plan that works. Adopt and follow that plan that proves to be sound, the right plan. Keep your eye on the goal and don’t stop until your goal has been reached.
A QUITTER NEVER WINS – AND A WINNER NEVER QUITS.
Select members who do not take defeat seriously.
Planting the seed of DESIRE, transmuted into it’s monetary equivalent, through these PRINCIPLES, is the agency through which money is made. Who said money don’t grow on trees?
Money can “hear” when a person who DESIRES it, calls it to come.
Planning the Sale of Services
The remainder of this chapter is about Marketing for:
- Personal services or ideas (what else would one have to give in return for riches)
- Those aspiring to leadership in their chosen occupation. Decide if you wanna be a leader or follower (make less than leaders). If you wanna be a leader, get out there and LEAD. To become an efficient leader, you may want to start as an intelligent follower acquiring knowledge from leader.
The 11 Major Factors of Leadership
1. UNWAVERING COURAGE based on knowledge of self and one’s occupation. Self-confidence is Alpha.
2. SELF-CONTROL, lack this and you can never control others or expect them to control themselves. Monkey see, monkey do…especially the more intelligent monkeys.
3. JUSTICE and fairness will command and retain the respect of your followers.
4. DEFINITENESS OF DECISION. Do not waiver or risk showing that you are not sure of yourself if you want to lead successfully.
5. DEFINITENESS OF PLANS. Plan your work and work our plan. Don’t guess or risk crashing.
6. HABIT OF DOING MORE THAN PAID FOR. Do more than you require of your followers.
7. PLEASING PERSONALITY. No slovenly, careless person can become a successful leader. Study all the factors of a pleasing personality.
8. SYMPATHY AND UNDERSTANDING. You must be in sympathy with your followers. Understand them and their problems. This in return will gain you their consent and sympathy.
9. MASTERY OF DETAIL of the leader’s position.
10. WILLINGNESS TO ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY for the mistakes and shortcomings of their followers. Leader must consider that it is they themselves who failed.
11. COOPERATION. Cooperative effort and to induce their followers to do the same. More like a partnership.
The 10 Major Causes of Failure in Leadership
It’s essential to know WHAT NOT TO DO, in order to know what TO DO.
- INABILITY TO ORGANIZE AND MASTER DETAILS. Genuine leaders are never too busy to do anything as a leader. Must be able to change your plans and give attention to any emergency. Be efficient and delegate details to capable lieutenants.
- UNWILLINGNESS TO RENDER HUMBLE SERVICE. When the occasion demands, be willing to perform any labor which you would ask helper to perform. “The greatest among ye shall be the servant of all”
- EXPECTATION OF PAY FOR WHAT THEY KNOW. It’s for what you Do or induce others to Do with what you know.
- FEAR OF COMPETITION FROM FOLLOWERS. Only by cloning yourself can you multiply your efforts. Through knowledge of your job and magnetism of your personality, greatly increase the efficiency of others and induce them to render more service and better service.
- LACK OF IMAGINATION. Imagination helps with meeting emergencies and of creating plans y which to guide their followers efficiently.
- SELFISHNESS. Claim little to none of the honors. Give honorable mention to your followers. They will work harder for commendation and recognition than money alone.
- INTEMPERANCE destroys the endurance and vitality of those who indulge in it.
- DISLOYALTY kills trust and is sure to bring contempt.
- OVEREMPHASIS ON THE AUTHORITY OF LEADERSHIP. Better to lead by encouraging and not by instilling fear in their hearts. Advertise by your conduct, sympathy, understanding, fairness and a demonstration that you know your job.
- OVEREMPHASIS ON TITLE. My ‘office’ door is always open to all who wish to enter & feel free to be at ease and be yourself
Some Areas of Opportunity for New Leadership
Politics, banking, industry, business, religion, law, medicine, education(more with practice and less with theory), journalism, newspapers(avoid scandal and lewd pics)
Media through Which Services May Be Marketed
Bringing the buyer and seller of personal services together…
Employment agencies(must have records of achievement), Advertising, Personal Letters of Application, Application Through Personal Acquaintances, Application in Person
It is not the lawyer who knows the most law, it is the lawyer who prepares the best case who wins.
QQS – quality, quantity and spirit of cooperation = perfect salesmanship. (amount of pay & duration)
Quality – performance of every detail with your position in the most efficient manner possible.
Quantity – rendering all the amount of service of which you are capable of at all times
Spirit – agreeable and harmonious conduct which will induce cooperation from associates and fellow employees.
The 30 Major Causes of Failure
- Unfavorable Heredity – deficiency of brain power. Perhaps you could set up a smart phone or similar device with apps or reminders of their thinking for them. Like a check list and alarms.
- Lack of a Well-Defined Purpose in life. A bull’s eye or target is needed for aim. 98 out of 100 people have no such aim. Now maybe money is your aim or maybe it’s doing something you love… Maybe you can have both.
- Lack of Ambition…the desire to get ahead in life and be willing to pay the price, pay your dues.
- Insufficient Education – Knowledge effectively and persistently applied, self-made millionaire. It’s what you do with what you know.
- Lack of Self-Discipline. Self-control of all negative qualities. Before you can control conditions, you must control yourself. Conquer self or be conquered by self. Look in the mirror, you will see your best friend, you’re greatest asset and your worst enemy and greatest liability.
- Ill Health – (a) over eating of non-nutritious or non-whole foods(if you look at it, you should be able to tell what’s in it) i.e hotdog (b) incorrect or negative thinking habits (c) wrong use of and overindulgence in sex (d) inadequate physical exercise (e) inadequate supply of fresh air (improper breathing)
- Unfavorable Environmental Influences During Childhood. Bad habits or criminal tendencies can be from improper associates at early age.
- Procrastination – Start NOW and work with the tools you have. Better tools will be found along the way.
- Lack of Persistence – be a good finisher. Get knocked down, get up again. PERSISTENCE will get you there.
- Negative Personality – how do you attract bees? With honey, not vinegar…one attracts, the other repels. Be positive and care, attract people. Mentor them through your example and experience. You will gain their cooperation.
- Lack of Controlled Sexual Urge. This most powerful emotion and most likely to move you into action. It must be controlled and transmuted into other channels.
- Uncontrolled Desire of Something For Nothing – gambling.
- Lack of a Well-Defined Power of Decision. Unless this is a MAJOR DECISION and you need to gather more data… you should be able to rather quickly decide quickly. And even Hill decided quickly when he was presented a GOOD opportunity to write this book. Indecision can hogtie you to the treadmill of failure.
- One of the SIX BASIC FEARS – Master these before marketing your services effectively.
- Wrong Selection of Mate In Marriage. Unless this relationship is harmonious, loss of ambition and failure is likely.
- Over-Caution. Take a chance before someone else scoops up the opportunity. Over-caution is as bad as under-cation or over-confidence…. you want to be cautious and confident.
- Wrong Selection of Associates. Look for inspiration, intelligence and successful people. Pick someone who is worth emulating.
- Superstition and Prejudice. Fear and ignorance or lack of common sense. Keep an an open mind and be afraid of nothing.
- Wrong Selection of Vocation. Choose something you love with all your being. Something you love like NO OTHER.
- Lack of Concentration of Effort. “Jack of all trades and master of NONE“. What is you DEFINITE CHIEF AIM?
- INDISCRIMINATE SPENDING. Stand eternally in the FEAR of poverty or put aside 15% to 20 % of your monthly income or at least 5%. Money in the bank gives you COURAGE. Without one must take what one is offered and be glad to get it.
- Lack of Enthusiasm. Without you cannot be convincing. Moreover enthusiasm is contagious, and if you have it under control, is welcomed by all.
- Intolerance. If you have a closed mind, it means you have stopped acquiring knowledge. Most damaging are those connected with religious, racial and political differences of opinion.
- Intemperance. Most damaging are connected with eating, strong drink, drugs and sexual activities. Moderation is key. Overindulgence in any of these is fatal.
- Inability to Cooperate with Others. More people lose big opportunities in life for this than all other reasons combined. No one will tolerate this fault.
- Silver Spoon. I.e Inheritance. Quick riches are more dangerous than poverty.
- Intentional Dishonest. One may be temporarily dishonest, but keep it up and lose reputation and perhaps loss of liberty.
- Egotism and Vanity. These are red lights that keep others away. They are fatal to success.
- Guessing instead of Thinking. Don’t be too lazy to acquire facts or else lose your ability to think accurately. Some people prefer to act on OPINION created by guesswork or snap-judgements.
- Lack of Capital. You need sufficient reserves of capital to absorb the shock of mistakes and carry you over until have established reputation.
- Be safe, be legal… if you don’t do this…you could find yourself in a world of hurt. Surround yourself and spend time with FAMILY & FRIENDS. Good people who can give you good feedback and advice. They got your back.
In that list is Tragedy of Life …People who Try and Fail… it would be helpful for you to have a friend to go over the list and help analyze yourself for the 30 causes of failure. Know your weaknesses as well as your strengths. Bridge your weakness or eliminate them entirely.
Be sure you are WORTH MORE THAN YOU NOW RECEIVE. Your VALUE is entirely by your ability to render useful service or your capacity to induce others to render such service.
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION
Self-Analysis should show a decrease in faults and and increase in virtues. Focus on improvements.
1. Have I attained the goal which I establishes as my objective for this year? Yearly objective to be obtained as part of your major or one of your major life’s objectives. Arnold did body building, acting, politics.
2. Have I delivered service of the best possible QUALITY of which i was capable, or could I have improved? i.e mini-vacuum for clean up
3. Have I delivered in greatest possible QUANTITY…i.e More marketing and load up schedule
4. Has spirit of my conduct been harmonious and cooperative at ALL times?
5. Have I allowed Procrastination to decrease my efficiency, and if so, to what extent?
6. Have I improved my PERSONALITY, and in what ways?
7. Have I been persistent in following through my plans to completion?
8. Have I reached decisions promptly and definitely?
9. Have I permitted any of the Six Basic Fears to decrease my efficiency?
10. Have i been CAUTIOUS…. or over-cautious, under-cautious?
11. Have my relationships been pleasant or unpleasant? Is any fault mine?
12. Have I dissipated any my energy through lack of CONCENTRATION of effort?
13. Have I been open-minded and tolerant in connection with all subjects?
14. In what way have I improved my ability to render service?
15. Have I been intemperate in any of my habits?
16. Have I expressed openly or secretly any form of EGOTISM?
17. Has my conduct toward my associates been…such that it has induced them to RESPECT me?
18. Have my opinions and DECISIONS been based upon guesswork or accuracy of analysis and thought?
19. Have I budgeted my time, expenses and income…and have I been conservative?
20. How much time have I wasted on UNPROFITABLE which i may have used to better advantage? Take breaks and reward yourself for sweat equity.
21. How may I change my habits so I will be more efficient during the coming year? When is a good time to schedule __________ in?
22. Have I done anything that my grandma/grandpa would not approve of? Be safe, legal.
23. In what ways have I rendered MORE SERVICE AND BETTER SERVICE than I was paid for? Cover and clean.
24. Have I been unfair to anyone, and if so, in what way?
25. If I had purchased my own service, would I have been satisfied, surprised with my purchase?
26. Am I in the right vocation? and if not, why not
27. Has the customer been satisfied with my service?(survey) And if not, why not?
28. What’s my rating on the fundamentals of success? Make rating fair and frank and have it checked by someone who is honest enough to do it accurately.
These questions will be particularly helpful to those marketing their services as business or industrial owners/executives.
Miracle That Has Provided Blessings
Organized Capitalism. Scientists, Educators(online), chemists, inventors, business analysts, advertisers, transportation experts, accountants, lawyers, doctors, any who have highly specialized knowledge in all fields of industry and business.
They supply entire fabric of which all education, enlightenment and human progress consists.
Be a good go-giver, put forth the effort and collect riches in proportion to the value of the service rendered. Select hunting ground where game (financial) is abundant.
In America people spend billion$ a year on: hair, nail and skin care; newspapers; books; sound recordings; motion pictures; fast food; bar and tavern tabs; toys; lawn and gardens; sporting goods; furniture & home furnishings; clothing & accessories; laundry and dry cleaning; appliance & electronics; bury their dead. Talk about opportunity to create riches, personal services abound.
If one has superior talent, training, experience and HUSTLE…”I outwork you or die.”
The Power that Creates Worlds seems to deliver to those who know exactly what they want and if they are determined to get JUST THAT!
Chapter 7: DECISION | Mastery of procrastination
One of Henry Ford’s most outstanding qualities was his habit of reaching decisions quickly and definitely, and changing them slowly. His firmness of decision and courage yielded him a fortune.
Poor people are easily influenced by others’ opinions, newspapers, gossiping. You must have a DESIRE of your own.
Quietly acquire facts or information from others to enable you to reach a decision, without disclosing your purpose.
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason. Wise and modest people listen for opportunities and accumulate useful knowledge.
If you talk about your PLANS, people will delight in defeating you because they envy you.
“Tell the world what you intend to do, but FIRST SHOW IT.”
“If two of you agree upon the earth concerning anything for which you ask, it will come to you.”
“I trust I have long since made my peace with the King. No personal consideration shall induce me to abandon the righteous cause of my Country. No longer insult the feelings of an exasperated people.”
Be immune to fear, blind to the possibility of failure.
The Universe will make room for those who show that they know where they are going.
DECIDE to PLAN a DEFINITE POSITION and know how to choose a business or employer. And make life pay the price you ask.
Financial independence, riches and desirable business are within reach of the person who EXPECT, PLAN and DEMAND these things.
The person who desires riches in the same spirit that Samuel Adams desired freedom for the Colonies – is sure to accumulate wealth.
Te principles in this book will work, when you DECIDE to organize them into a plan of actionand pursue that plan with PERSISTENCE, the Eighth Step to Riches.
EVERY FAILURE BRINGS WITH IT THE SEED OF AN EQUIVALENT SUCCESS.